10.03.2010

A Little Off Topic Topic Today

So I am veering off topic a little today (although i will talk about a little bit of crafting...so not fully off topic...and when don't i veer off a little anyways...)

Football Fun!

It sees like recently my life has become over run with football.  Not to say that I don't like football and that I wasn't my High School teams biggest fans (even though, let's face it, we weren't that great...). Or in college when I did stats for a semi-pro team and found myself driving to all sorts of strange places to cheer on the guys, keep the stats and enjoy some football (heck after one game i even made my own first aid kit to take to future games cause a cleat had ripped one of our players arm and the field had NO band-aid for him...so after an emergency run to 7-11 (it was the closest thing i could see from the field and we were in the middle of the ghetto...so i wasn't feeling adventurous enough to explore for a better option) i patched the guy up and vowed never to be caught at a game without appropriate first aid supplies).  And growing up I was loud and proud cheering for my fav. pro-team (although i will admit eventually i stopped watching pro as much as i used too...but i was in college then...and college football was the center focus of those years)  From college to the few years after (i stuck around my college town) college football dominated my football watching...except for the few times my hubby's pro-team was being shown on tv in our area...then it was Vikings all the way.

But I am almost 100% positive that football has never dominated my life as much as it does right now!  Why you ask?  Because this year my hubby signed up for a Fantasy Football team...so there are daily updates on talks whether any of his players might be hurt...how his match-up is looking for this coming weekend...then the weekend comes and it is up-to-the minute point checking as we watch whatever games we can find on the tv.  That in and of itself wouldn't be all consuming (well for those of you who know my hubby...you could see how it might be borderline all consuming...lol)  But we signed my daughter up for football through the local Y.
So now my Big Girl is playing football (yes she is the only girl, but she wanted to play and who i am to deny her...besides it is the only program at our Y that starts at 3 and is free...and i figure i pay all that money for my family membership why not sign up for as many free sports as possible!)  Her schedule is not all that demanding...just 8 Saturday's (the first 4 are practices the last four are "games") and her team is very accepting of having a girl on it.  In fact they all cheered for her when she arrived for practice yesterday...so I am beyond thrilled about that and about how much fun she is having.

As for the dominating my life...she now wants to practice daily (inside and outside the house). Because all the footballs are out my hubby now comes home from work, grabs ones and tosses up into the air and then catches it...repeat...repeat...repeat...repeat...and sometimes at the end of the day listening to that pattern is enough to drive me insane.  Let alone the fact it is throwing the ball in the house...something I have to talk about constantly with the kids...but husbands are just really big kids...right?

So now instead of weekends enjoying a few games (in person or on tv) we have our daily dose of football...talking, playing, tripping over...you name it we have it!  And while I couldn't be more thrilled about it...every once in awhile I find I hit my tolerance level of amount of football to be had for one day...but I think my tolerance will have to grow as the kids do...since Little Man is showing a keen interest in Big Girl's practices (both at home and on the field...although yesterday he did integrate himself with two sisters who were sitting on the sideline enjoying a snack...)



As for the crafty part...I am in love with team spirit bows!  And these football bows are just a fun little thing for me to work on when I am feeling like I need a football outlet (because trust me, if you have ever seen me throw...you know i belong on the sidelines...not the field...) and I am finding that many little girls like to rock team colored ribbons in their hair as they sit and cheer on their parents fav teams!

So whether it is a true football bow made with football ribbon and highlighted in the center with the teams colors, or a medium sized hair clip where the ribbon and buttons are coordinated to your team (or the bitty version for the tiniest of fans) football bows are sporty and fashionable all at the same time. 

And who wouldn't want to be both?


1 comment: