10.08.2010

Tote-ally Obsessed!




As most of you know...I have a new obsession...Tot Totes...although now I have made a few for Adults as well...so these cutie Totes aren't just for your Tots!

My obsession started rather innocently...learn to make a Rag Quilt so I have more gift options when friends are expecting (seemed like a rather fun idea and you can read more about it here).  And then I got to thinking (which is always dangerous...lol) and I decided to attempt a Tote for my daughter...thinking hey...if it comes out funky, at least I tried something new...and if it comes out great...my daughter will love me forever (ok, so she already loves me forever, but you know what i mean, that extra special smile and hug, and the days spent carrying around her new treasure, that just make you feel like super mom!)  So I sat down, and cut myself the pieces...and it turns out...making a Tote is rather fun!  A few steps more than a plain quilt, but I think those steps are what appeal to me.

Reverse of Lots of Dots
Lots of Dots (Birds & Green) Rag Tote
I am a huge dork...I like math.  Yes, I just admitted that.  And who doesn't love a good puzzle?  Well to me the Tote combines a little bit of all of that...math in making sure I have the right size pieces to meet the Tote size I am trying to make.  Puzzling the pieces together as I go, with the end result being...a Tote (shocker on that one...i am sure some of you were hoping the pieces would combine to a money tree...or gourmet 5 course dinner...but alas...the fabric makes a Tote. (on the other hand if any of you have the money tree recipe i would love for you to share it!)).  And the best part, I get to be crafty the whole time!  From matching fabrics, to figuring out side pockets, to picking which thread would be the best choice for that specific tote...it is a great way to get my creative juices flowing.  And a fun way to try new things (like how many pockets is too many...no seriously...how many?).

For instance...this Tote has 6 pockets total (3 on each "side" (outside vs inside))

 So now I find myself making a Tote a day (yes...you read that right...i did the math...see more math!...since my first tote i have made at least one tote a day) and trying new things in the world of my Rag Quilt inspired Tot Totes.  Not only does my daughter have one...but I have one...and in a few short hours my mom will be the proud owner of one (and if you are feeling left out you can see the ready to ship totes in my etsy shop here...or the listing for custom ones...where you have a say in the colors)


Butterfly Rag Tote
Reverse of Butterfly Tote
Heading into the weekend I look at the fabrics I have stacked around me and my mind whirs with what combo to put together next and what size should I make this time...and I have to remind myself that this weekend I need to step away from the sewing machine...my Little Man turns TWO today and we have a fun filled and packed weekend.  So a word to my Fabrics...I love ya...but you will have to wait until late Sunday to become the next Tote...and stop trying to tempt me! (i find talking to myself...and/or the project i am working on...to be a tad therapeutic...lol).

As for what to fill my new Tote with...that is a question for another day! (most likely craft projects...or a couple diapers, cell, wallet & a snack for the kids as we pop out for a fun trip to the park) 



What do you like to Tote with you?




9 comments:

  1. These are so pretty!

    Thanks for visiting -- I'm following back! And if you ever want to sponsor a giveaway, I can always host! =)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable! I love bags!! Thanks for stopping by I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is an awesome idea... im now following from Friday follow..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some cute totes! And you are so not a dork for liking math, I used to teach it before mommyhood.
    Thanks for the follow! I am following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week!

    Jess
    http://www.mommies2cents.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi just calling by from your latest follower Via Friday Blog hops. Love meeting new bloggers. I really love the whole rag quilt thing but not just in quilts but you could do it on clothes as well. Hope you are having a end of the week.Be sure to check my blog out www.jamarahcraftycreations.blogspot.com
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really pretty. Nice colors! I am your follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.blogspot.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous totes! wish i could sew! your newest blog hop follower. happy friday. would *love* a follow back. you can find me at...

    http://aceandfriendsco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete